Unfortunately phone appointments are not available. This is a restriction we must work with due to insurance requirements. It is completely normal to feel anxious about starting treatment and we understand how much courage it can take. Please know that anxiety is quite normal and that most people seeking out treatment are either depressed or anxious or both, so you are not alone. Please review the two articles on anxiety on the "Ask The Doctor" page of our web site.
You certainly could be depressed. A common symptom is often a lack of motivation and loss of interest in activities. Signs of depression often include neglect of daily activities, appetite change and sleep change. Depression is often very treatable, however, you should also consult with your physician if you are losing a lot of weight to rule out any medical condition.
We always encourage patients to address complaints/issues directly with their treatment provider. While the specifics of your situation are not known it is clear that your doctor should not "lash out" at you. That said, even professionals have bad days and hopefully your doctor will hear your concern and address it with you. If you feel that the problem can not be addressed then it sounds like you need to find a new provider. Generally a call to your insurance company will help you find doctors and practices in your area that are accepting new patients and also accept your insurance.
Your question is actually quite broad, but in the most straightforward terms I would define it as follows: A well developed plan that outlines specific interventions to address a given "problem" or "disorder." The interventions depend upon the specific problem or disorder. The word management means "The process of dealing with or controlling things or people." The word process in the definition is noteworthy because it implies a series of interventions over time. Therefore, managing a significant psychological or behavioral disorder involves a series of interventions over time that are planned, evaluated, and directed toward a desired outcome. Whew! Hope that is not too wordy.
Depending upon the age of the child the signs may vary. In general any significant change in behavior, interests, or daily routines can be a sign of a mood disorder. You may notice significant sleep, appetite or hygiene changes. Another outward sign can include irritability (acting out) especially in boys or being more withdrawn especially in girls. If in doubt then check it out. Often a couple appointments with a mental health professional can provide a good diagnostic opinion.
At this time we do not have a practitioner certified in hypnotherapy. You may also want to contact List Psychological Services or Health Source.
Depression is a disorder of the brain and body's ability to biologically create and balance a normal range of thoughts, emotions, & energy.

Substance Abuse

Many families attend Alanon or the related group for narcotics. You may also consider individual treatment.
According to our Substance Abuse Director you should talk to your P.O. about this issue. If you are on probation with Saginaw or Bay County through Circuit Court your agent could refer you to our classes. If your probation is through District Court in Saginaw there may be other alternatives available to you depending upon your income. Our SA Director suggested that you call our office for more information.
The length of treatment varies depending upon the source of referral. For example if you are on Probation or Parole and you were referred by your agent then the treatment is provided in a group based format with some individual sessions for a number of weeks. If you are self referred then the length of treatment is entirely up to you and your therapist based upon your collaboration. If you would like more information about a specific program you can call and ask for Linda Moten-Elliot, Amy Hayes or Michelle Woullle. They will be able to provide detailed information about each program we run.
Substance abuse has a range of definitions related to use or overuse of mood altering substances. Substance use may lead to addiction or dependence. Medically, dependence requires the development of tolerance leading to withdrawal symptoms.


The first step in any treatment is an accurate and valid diagnosis; unfortunately social phobia and generalized anxiety disorder are often misdiagnosed. As a matter of policy we do not conduct any distance therapy at this time via email, video or any other mechanism. Any therapist here strives to be available to a point to answer questions, however, there is occasion where the contact is clearly a therapeutic issue in and of itself and has to be addressed. We would not ever "dismiss" a client who is genuinely working on treatment goals, however, appropriate boundaries between patients and therapists is necessary.
No we do not have a specific support group for anxiety at this time.
Our fee schedule would not change in this case. You may call the office to find out specific charges.
That can be arranged at times, however, many insurances do not allow appointments to occur outside of the office. Be sure to indicate this particular preference when contacting a treatment provider. Also, depending upon your insurance, you may pursue prior authorization with the insurance company for this particular type of treatment.
The treatment for sexual performance related anxiety would be similar to treatment for anxiety in general. It would involve relaxation training and cognitive restructuring (i.e., changing the thoughts that lead to the anxiety into more positive or calming thoughts.) In certain cases, it may also be helpful to explore the origins of the anxiety. While sexual performance issues is often related to a confidence problem, they can also be related to more deep rooted issues.
Your question illuminates a very important point; good treatment begins with an accurate diagnosis. Part of our intake process includes developing an initial diagnosis, which may be refined over time. However, our treatment is evidenced based, meaning we use treatments that have demonstrated good results. If the diagnosis is particularly difficult, then psychological testing may help.
The simple answer is yes we do. However, many people use the term Social Anxiety Disorder (aka Social Phobia) to refer to times they experience anxiety in social situations. This is slightly different from Social Phobia, which is explained in detail at the following site: No matter what specific form of anxiety disorder you are struggling with we do have practitioners who utilize CBT. Both Nathalie Menendes, Psy.D. and Mark Zaroff, Ph.D. would be able to provide this type of treatment.
It is a normal human emotion for people to experience anxiety or nervousness when faced with a problem or making an important decision. Anxiety disorders and panic disorders, however, are different. They can cause such distress that it interferes with a person's ability to lead a normal life. Anxiety disorders are quite common, affecting more than 18% of all Americans. For those affected, worry and fear are constant and overwhelming, and can be crippling. Panic disorder is the most common of type of anxiety disorder and strikes without reason or warning. During a panic attack, the fear response is out of proportion for the situation, which often is nonthreatening. Over time, the person develops a constant fear of having another attack.


All of our active clinicians are listed under the "Who We Are" and then "Staff Bios" section. We know first hand that starting treatment an be difficult and we do hope to improve our biography page in the future to include more information about each clinician. Unfortunately at this time we do not have that information in a readily available, summarized format. We would be happy to answer any questions about a particular clinician's qualifications prior to intake or at the intake. Most clinicians are happy to discuss their professional background, qualifications, and any areas of specialty.
Yes we do. We have two therapists on staff who are certified in this area and, in fact, ran the DBT treatment program for Bay Arenac Behavioral Health in the recent past. They currently work with individuals using DBT techniques on an individual basis and are working toward starting the associated group work in both Saginaw and Bay County. You would want to schedule an appointment with Barbara Goss, LMSW or Cara Schade, LLMSW. Just call 799-2100 and indicate your interest.
In a manner of speaking yes young children can benefit from mental health treatment. Specialists in the area of child therapy often use activities to assist a child in expressing concerns and developing coping mechanisms. This type of treatment usually involves the family as well, and may only require behavioral intervention, where the parents are working on new strategies to help the child with their particular issue.
Yes, we evaluate for most areas and concerns with the exception of neuropsychological evaluations.
Yes, we do and the provider who specializes in that area at our clinic is Mr. Kyle West, M.A., L.L.P. Kyle has worked in this area throughout is career and is very knowledgeable and well respected.
Session limits are generally established as an insurance benefit. You would need to check with your particular insurance company or we could check for you if you call. Generally, people are seen once per week when they are starting treatment and session frequency typically reduces over time until discharge.
Yes, you should call our main number 799-2100 any time you feel in genuine crisis. We have an answering service that will put you in touch with your therapist or one of their supervisors.
You need to petition the probate court in the county where the guardian was established. You can often do this on your own but any questions about the process are best handled by an attorney who works in that area of the law.
Yes, we do these as a regular part of our practice.
Yes, most of our therapists are trained in this area.
Yes it is and we do see this often.
It often depends on your exact situation, however, many people find some relief from learning the results of a through diagnostic evaluation. We strive to address your concerns during testing and may indeed find other areas of concern.
Yes we do
We do have a therapist with significant experience treating eating disorders.
Generally an adjustment disorder is in response to some life event (e.g., divorce, loss of job, death) while Bipolar or Major Depression are more chronic. It is possible to have a double depression where the adjustment issue is contributing to worsening mood symptoms. In that case it could be a serious issue and should be addressed with your mental health provider.
It is generally against our policy to use touch in therapy. Any touch would have to be a carefully documented, planned and quite limited intervention.
We do not offer classes, however, we do have therapists who incorporate mindfulness as an aspect of treatment.
With patience and understanding. Hopefully the person is receiving mental health treatment in addition to your support. Please encourage them to do so if they are not already in treatment.
We have a therapist named Carrie O'Toole who has experience working with eating disorders. The more rural your location the less likely you will find specialty clinics since there is generally not the population to support it.
We do provide diagnostic evaluations for dementia. Treatment occurs in conjunction with the individuals family doctor. Our treatment typically focuses upon behavioral coping and emotional support as well as any supportive counseling that may be needed for the individual, their partner or family as everyone adjusts to change.
The short answer is yes we do. However, it is important to note that there is not a special license or certification to indicate a "specialization" in working with children experiencing divorce. The closest certification would be a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Otherwise individuals specializing in this population are self described based upon their own professional experience and continued education. We have a number of very experienced therapists in this area. If you choose to come here be sure to indicate this concern at the time you call and again at the first appointment to ensure the best match.
At this time we are not hiring for any support staff positions. However, this is a good idea to see how mental health clinics work and to gain early experience in the field. Best of of luck to you.
Well it depends somewhat upon the meaning of "stuff." Assuming you mean moving on from life's frustrations or conflicts, then therapy has the potential to help quite a bit. One treatment goal may focus upon general problem solving skills. If, however, you mean literally discarding items then you may want to seek out a specialist in hoarding. At this time we do not have such a specialist but we do have many therapists skilled in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy who could still help with such an issue.
This is question that only Dr. Rao could answer in treatment with you.
Even if we are not actively hiring I would encourage you to submit your resume with a cover letter regarding your interests. We have many part time individuals and opportunities for employment often come up during the year.


There are many reasons why a person may have trouble focusing and ADHD is certainly one of them. However, people will notice trouble with sustained attention due to depression, anxiety, trauma, sleep disorders among other reasons. To determine if you have ADHD a thorough evaluation is required.
The research is fairly consistent that as individuals with ADHD grow into late adolescence and early adulthood they begin to experience less hyperactivity. Some individuals notice an improvement in attention and concentration as well, however, may people with ADHD continue to struggle with attention and concentration problems into adulthood. Medication can be effective as well as behavioral strategies and, at times, biofeedback is useful.

Monday-Thursday: 8am to 8pm
Friday:8am to 6pm
Saturday: By Appointment

Additionally, a 24-hour answering service is available seven days per week to respond to emergencies.


2100 Hemmeter Road
Saginaw, MI 48603
Phone (989) 799-2100
Fax (989) 799-2637

615 S. Euclid
Bay City, MI 48706
Phone (989) 439-1513
Fax (989) 439-1512

1000 N. Johnson
Bay City, MI 48708
Phone (989) 895-8666